Tonight is the night that I well and truly get my elf on.
I’ve got Poundland fairy lights, sticky snowflakes and paper chains at the ready. My advent calender has been put in position. I even splashed out on some mince pies and have my Christmas playlist raring to go. By midnight, our flat is going to look like a cheap Santa’s grotto with beans stuck to the work surfaces! And I’m pretty excited about it.
Since Christmas is right around the corner, you might not need that many more reasons to smile. But a series is a series. So, just in case you do need a little push in the festive direction, here are 10 things to be happy about in December!
1. The fact that twinkly lights are literally going to be everywhere you look.
2. It is officially acceptable to eat pretty much nothing by cheese (preferably baked and of the camembert variety) and maybe a cracker or two.
3. Mariah Carey.
4. Yes, it may be bloody freezing outside but at least you can buy a cup of mulled wine. Just don’t look at the price.
5. It’s Snow Fairy season!
6. The smell of cinnamon (aka happiness in spice form) is in the air.
7. Need to take an Instagram in a hurry? No problem, there’s a Starbucks on every corner with a tonne of festive cups just waiting to be photographed.
8. The feeling of sheer joy that accompanies walking downstairs the day after you put your tree up and seeing it there in all of its twinkly glory.
9. “Hello, glitter. Nice to see you again. Let me just put you everywhere.”
10. Did someone say “Elf”?