Take a wander into any highstreet shop in 2017 and you will definitely see the word “feminist”. In fact, I’m willing to bet money that you’ll see the phrase “girl power” or “femme forever” plastered onto a T-Shirt somewhere too.
As I’ve said before (like, a lot), it’s one of those things that gets me pretty heated. The truth is that feminism sells and brands know it. But whilst they might emblazon every t-shirt/pin/patch/sock with slogans about empowering women, their ethics just don’t match up. Fast fashion continues to perpetrate the mistreatment of women in the East on a daily basis: H&M are said to have fired 251 workers due to pregnancy in Cambodia and India and it is reported that 8,000 workers have collapsed in their factories due to heat and exhaustion between 2010 and 2016 in Cambodia alone. Topshop have been linked to the use of sweatshops that pay their workers 44p per hour.
I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure they’re not feeling those “Girl Power” vibes, despite the fact that it is their hands that hold up these fast fashion brands.
Thankfully, more and more people are waking up the disgusting realities behind the fashion industry and choosing to shop ethically. Whether that means using charity shops, supporting slow fashion brands or simply buying less clothes, I’m all for it. But trust me, I understand that it ain’t easy: Nobody is the perfect ethical consumer. So, to make it that little bit easier I’ve compiled a list of some actually feminist companies that I’ve had my eye on for a while. Companies that are independent and founded by women. Companies that celebrate every aspect of womanhood, not just the bits that make for a sassy slogan. Now those are the companies that I will happily give my money to.
1. Bloody Nora Pam: Shop here for slogans including “Eliminate Girl Hate”, “End Gender Norms” and “Support your local Ghoul Gang” and to support the UK Sepsis trust.
2. Betty Ratbag: Shop here for clothing that recognises just how fucking incredible Mothers are.
3. Nikki and Nibby: Shop here for absolutely beautiful handcrafted jewellery that encourages people to “be the change”. Oh and to “impeach Trump”!
4. Grl Clb: Shop here for fair trade, organic cotton t-shirts stitched and printed on by the hands of one of one of my biggest feminist inspirations.
5. Bloody Nora Pam
6. Bee and Mae: Shop here to support the motherhood club and all of its magic!
7. Green Box Shop: Shop here for intersectional slogan t-shirts that put a middle finger up to beauty standards, gender norms and all bigotry.
8. Ella Masters Studios: Shop here for tote bags and illustrations created by the endlessly talented, Ella (a total powerhouse of a freelancer, by the way).
9. The Hun Real Issues: Shop here for clothes that make a statement about all of the issues we should be talking about, including repealing the 8th.
10. Bee and Mae
11. Albaros Atlier: Shop here for hand embroidered T-shirts, including this Frida Kahlo beauty.